Kapiti Coast Museum logo
Archives :
Object ID:
Object Name:
Extent of Description:
Single sheet of paper, 29.5 x 21cm
Scope & Content:
[Note, rectangular white paper with black typed print.]

[Note reads]


[First 4 paragraphs]

When the sand encroached on the land beginning about 1840 onwards the Government of the day moved many of the Maori beach and river settlements inland.

In 1851 The Rev. Richard Taylor in his journal records visiting Waikanae and going with the Government Surveyor to see the site of the new Maori settlement two miles in land.

About this time a new settlement was established at Greenaway Road under the direction of Wiremu Parata Te Kakakura. They were probably one and the same. We are still researching at the National Archives and the Turnbull Library as most published history books are either vague, having nothing to say or if they do not seem to agree on the matter.

Suffice to say that the Marae of the new settlement was named Whakarongotai by its designer Wi Parata (meaning listen ot the voices of the tides). Historians say it had a double meaning and that Wiremu Parata meant 'listen to the voices of time'. Certainly the tides of time were changing rapidly in Waikanae. In the 1880s when the Manawatu Wellington Railway was being constructed Wi Parata had the meeting house and the church hauled up to their present positions (by bullock dray).

[Reverse blank]

[Ruth Wright Collection]
Click to Enlarge
Note, Whakarongotai MaraeNote, Whakarongotai Marae